Monday 13 May 2013

“Don’t ever let yourselves down, the expectation is always there” – Full text of Ferguson’s goodbye speech

Sir Alex Ferguson took charge of his 1,499th match today – his last
home game before he retires. Rio Ferdinand smashed in the winner,
after Michu had cancelled out Chicharito's first-half. After the game,
the 71-year-old delivered the speech below:

I have absolutely no script in my mind. I'm just going to ramble on
and hope I get to the core of what this football club means.

This is a thank you to Manchester United. Not just the directors, not
just the medical staff, the coaching staff, the players and
supporters. It's all of you. This has been the most fantastic
experience of my life. Thank you.

I have been very fortunate that I've been able to manage to some of
the greatest players in the country, let alone Manchester United. And
all these players today have represented this club the proper way.
They won the championship in fantastic fashion. Well done to the
players.

My retirement does mean the end of my life with the club. I'll now be
able to enjoy watching them, rather than suffer with them. But, if you
think about it, those last-minute goals, the comebacks, even the
defeats are all part of this great football club of ours … so thank
you for that.

I'd also like to remind you that when we had bad times at the club,
all the staff stood by me, all the players stood by me. Your [the
supporters] job now is to stand by your new manager.

Before I start blubbing, I just want to speak to Paul Scholes, who
retires today. He is unbelievable. One of the greatest players we've
ever had and ever will ever.

I also want to wish Darren Fletcher a speedy recovery and return to the club.

I wish the players every success in the future You know how good you
are, you know the jersey you're wearing and you know what it means to
everyone here [at Old Trafford]. Don't ever let yourselves down. The
expectation is always there

No comments:

Post a Comment

DROP YA COMMENTS!!!!!