Monday, 22 April 2013

Graduate stabs self to death in Lagos

Residents of Wole Madariola Street, Aguda, Surulere, Lagos have been
asking questions about what pushed Chidike Oyeka, a graduate of
Madonna University, Anambra, to stab himself repeatedly thereby taking
his own life.

KRS learnt that the Chidike on April 19, 2013, took a kitchen knife
and stabbed himself repeatedly until his intestines were

Our correspondent, who visited his parents' home where the incident
occurred, learnt that the victim recently concluded his National Youth
Service Corps programme.

A relative, who wished to remain anonymous, said the 25-year-old had
been depressed for some time.

She said, "He did his NYSC in Delta State and only returned in
February. Upon returning, he started to act strangely and we noticed
that he was no longer sociable. Most times he would sit at a corner by
himself and when we asked him what was wrong, he would say he was not

"When the symptom became persistent, his parents took him to a
hospital but nothing was discovered to be wrong with him, so we took
him back home and continued to monitor him."

Narrating what transpired on the day the victim died, the relative
said it happened after everyone had gone to sleep.

She said he went into the kitchen, took a kitchen knife and stabbed
himself three times.

She said, "I do not know the time it happened exactly but everyone had
gone to bed while he stayed in the parlour. Around midnight, he was
found lying in a pool of blood and the knife soaked in blood.

"His intestines were on the floor as well. From what we deduced, he
stabbed himself three times without screaming because no one heard any
noise. At daybreak, we went to Aguda Police Station to report the

A neighbour, who craved anonymity, said the deceased had once
complained that one of the reasons why he was unhappy wasthat he was

He said people advised him to be patient since he had only just
completed his NYSC.

Our correspondent, who visited the parents' home on Sunday, saw
residents coming in droves to console the family particularly the
victim's mother.

Another resident, while consoling the deceased's parents, said the
family should have taken him to see a psychologist instead of a
general medical practitioner when he complained of depression.

Mrs. Oyeka however said the circumstance surrounding her son's death
was metaphysical. She said she had left the matter to God but was
pained that all her struggles to bring up her son were in vain.

"He was my first born and we did all to make him happy but sadly he
took his own life. We counseled him on numerous occasions but this did
not prevent him from committing suicide.

"I do not think someone can stab himself to death except he is under
spell. I leave everything to God because He knows best."

Meanwhile, it was learnt that the deceased would be buried on Thursday.

When contacted on the telephone, the acting spokesperson for the state
police command, Damascus Ozoani, said the matter could not yet be
classified as suicide until autopsy was concluded.

"Although the family claimed he killed himself, the police will have
to do their own independent investigation to ascertain what really
happened. We will wait for the outcome of the autopsy and this will
determine our next line of action," he said

No comments:

Post a Comment